As a young adult, before I married or became a mother, and years before I completed my degree, I had the opportunity to receive some training in child development and early childhood education, as I worked at various preschools and child care centers. Many things I learned during that time made a lasting impact on me.
Consequently, by age 19, I had already developed a very strong opinion about certain discipline practices and guidance techniques. Nine years later, and six years since becoming a mother myself, I have changed many of my early opinions and gained greater perspective that only being a parent can bring. However, there is one opinion I have never changed--one which many of you have heard me express:
I am anti-"Time-Out".
Most who have heard me say this, instantly challenge the opinion because it is one of the most common parenting practices in our culture. And embarrassingly enough, most often when I have been asked to explain myself, in a sleep deprivation stupor, lacking mental clarity, and unable to adequately articulate my thoughts due to the stress usually associated with the moment, I have failed to provide a satisfactory answer.
However, this morning as I was reading a new book, I came across one the best explanations I have ever read about it. So for any of you who care to know why I take this position, here it is:
"The unfortunate "time-out" technique of disciplining is archetypical example of how opting for the short-term goal can harm attachment and therefore be ruinous to the long-term objective. In "time-out" the small child is sent to his room or otherwise banished from contact with the parent for varying periods of time, and is supposed thereby to learn the difference between good and bad behavior. That is not what they learn. Time-out requires raising as a threat the worse nightmare a young child can have--being cut off from the parent. Whatever the parent intends, the message received by the child is if you do not do as I want you to do, if you displease me, I am quite ready to severe the relationship with you. I only want you around on my terms. Time-out may achieve its immediate goal, especially with a young child already anxious about his attachment with the parent, and thus inclined to please. The effect, however, is to increase the child's anxiety and, deep down, the child's rage as well. Anxiety will diminish the child's capacity to develop self-regulation. There is, too, the danger that eventually, when he is no longer dependent on the parent--in adolescence for example--the child will detach from the relationship. The only justifiable use for this method is to help a parent who feels out of control to collect himself before pursuing further interaction with the child. In this case, the child is not being blamed or threatened" (Mate, pp. 147-148).
Now, I will be the first to admit, that I have, more than once (especially lately with my stubbornly defiant three-year-old), marched a child up to his room, plopped him down on his bed, and slammed the door shut. Perhaps this is why it was so painful for me to read the preceding paragraph earlier this morning. However, I am thankful for the reminder the author afforded me and I hope any of you reading this knows I have no intention of telling you how to parent--only to explain myself a little better.
Now on an entirely unrelated note, here are the results from our most recent attempt to photograph all three together:
Who is that beautiful head less woman in these photos? I can't believe how big Ethan is. Three (or four) cuties.
ReplyDeleteGet out here NOW. I can't handle these!
ReplyDeleteAlso, that paragraph is brilliant and now I feel bad that I caved and put B in her room the other day. First time ever. Hopefully last.
Oh my. Look at Ethan's beautiful LIGHT hair! Also, I think he's finally starting to resemble his siblings, a little.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you all in a few weeks!
The thing I love about the gospel is that parents can individually receive inspiration how to deal with each child they are blessed with. Sometimes one thing works with one child when the temperament for another child needs other attention. I love the knowledge that we as mothers can seek specific information for our own families. Aren't we bless to know we have a Heavenly Father that knows each of us and the knows each spirit that He sends down to us on earth. Tiffany I love how you search for answers to the needs of your children. I know they are so blessed to have you as their mother. Love you so much, Nancy
ReplyDeleteTiff...
ReplyDeleteI can definately see how you would be "anti-time-out" if the way it was described in that article is the version of time-out that was used. I would love to have this conversation with you sometime, because it is such an interesting thing to me too...
Love Bethany